Pricing: The open-source version of the software is free to download. Managed hosting tarts at $100/month. Nonprofits are eligible for substantial discounts.
Discourse is an open-source forum app that has a popular free version. It’s used by many well-known companies, including Envato and CodeAcademy.
Discourse has a comprehensive feature-set and utilizes a clean, mobile-responsive layout. The organizational structure is fairly typical, with topic categories, threads, and a feed-style homepage of the latest posts. Features include extensive admin controls, social logins, and numerous integrations.
If you have development knowledge and are willing to self-host your Discourse community, you can take advantage of the free version. Alternatively, a number of paid options are available.
- Free, open-source platform.
- Extensive set of features.
- Highly customizable.
- The free version requires self-hosting and development expertise.
- Paid plans are expensive compared to other solutions.
- Steep learning curve for beginners.